All students have to go through a formal application procedure, by which the most talented participants will be selected for our program. The application process for studying at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz depends on whether you reached your bachelor-level degree in Germany or not. Further information can be found here.
Prerequisites for admission are:
- A completed bachelor-level degree in business, economics, or a related field of study with at least six semesters regular study period.
- Note that if you have not completed your degree yet, you can still be admitted if – by the time of application – you have already acquired at least 135 ECTS in a bachelor’s program that takes six semesters and awards a total of 180 ECTS according to the European credit point system. In this case, we need a written official confirmation by your university that lists all the courses and exams taken so far, that computes your current grade point average and sum of credits (the sum of 135 or more credits needs to be stated on the document) and that confirms that your Bachelor program awards a total of 180 ECTS.
- If the bachelor-level degree has not been achieved in a program taught entirely in English, sufficient knowledge of the English language has to be documented by one of the following and should not be older than three years relative to the application deadline.
- Note that it is possible to apply for admission to the MIEPP program before taking the TOEFL/ IELTS/ FCE etc. In this case, the results have to be submitted by the student until the end of the semester in which she/he started her/his studies. If this proof is not provided on time, the admission will be rescinded.
The required B2 English level can be proven by one of the following tests:
- a TOEFL test with at least 72 points (internet-based test, IBT), ), 47 points (revised TOEFL Paper-delivered Test, PdT)
- or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) with a minimum of 5.5 points
- or the Cambridge First Certificate in English (FCE) or a higher level of the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations like advanced (CAE) or profitient (CPE)
- or Telc English B2
- or the Oxford Test of English (OTE) with an average of at least 111 of 140 points
- or the Academic Pearson Test of English (PTE) with a result of 59-75 points
- or a University Entrance Qualification from an English-language institute.
- A letter of motivation (in English, max. 1 page)
- Short CV (in English, max. 2 pages)
- Students who did not receive their Bachelor-level degree at a German University also need to get approval to study at Johannes Gutenberg University (see step 1 of the application procedure)
If available (not required):
- Test results of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Evidence of any relevant professional training you have completed or any time you have spent working professionally in a relevant field.
- Evidence of any outstanding achievements, such as receiving special academic funding, awards or prizes, having work published, holding lectures etc.