All students have to go through a formal application procedure, by which the most talented participants will be selected for our program. The application process for studying at Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz depends on whether you reached your bachelor-level degree in Germany or not. Further information can be found here.
Prerequisites for admission are:
• A completed bachelor-level degree in business, economics, or a related field of study with at least 6 semesters regular period of study. Note that if you have not completed your degree yet, you can still be admitted if – by the time of application – you have already acquired at least 135 ECTS in a bachelor’s program that takes six semesters and awards a total of 180 ECTS according to the European credit point system. In this case, we need a written official confirmation by your university that lists all the courses and exams taken so far, that computes your current grade point average and that confirms that your Bachelor program awards a total of 180 ECTS.
• Sufficient knowledge of the English language as documented by a TOEFL test with at least 227 points (computer-based test), 87 points (internet-based test), 567 points (paper-based test), or IELTS with a minimum of 5 points if the bachelor-level degree has not been achieved in a program taught entirely in English, or, alternatively, acquiring the Cambridge First Certificate (FCE). For TOEFL, IELTS or FCE, the issuing date of the certificate should not be older than three years, relative to the application deadline. Note that passing the TOEFL ITP test does not satisfy the admission requirements. It is possible to apply for admission to the MIEPP program before taking the TOEFL/ IELTS/ FCE. In this case, the results of the TOEFL/ IELTS/ FCE have to be submitted by the student at the end of the semester in which she/he started her/his studies. If this proof is not provided on time, the admission will be rescinded.
• A letter of motivation (in English, max. 1 page)
• Short CV (in English, max. 2 pages)
• Students who did not receive their Bachelor-level degree at a German University also need to get approval to study at Johannes Gutenberg University (see step 1 of the application procedure)
If available (not required):
• Test results of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
• Evidence of any relevant professional training you have completed or any time you have spent working professionally in a relevant field.
• Evidence of any outstanding achievements, such as receiving special academic funding, awards or prizes, having work published, holding lectures etc.