General Questions

Is the MIEPP practice-oriented?

We have designed the structure of the program to provide students with the practical and theoretical knowledge that is needed to take up interesting positions in the private sector and in public institutions. Moreover, we encourage them to do an internship during the semester breaks. At the same time, the MIEPP can also serve as a starting point for an academic career.

Is the MIEPP accredited?

The Master's program in International Economics and Public Policy (MIEPP) is accredited according to ACQUIN. The accreditation of the program was received via system accreditation of the Johannes-Gutenberg-University Mainz (JGU) which was awarded by ACQUIN in March 2011.

Is it possible to start the program in summer term?

We recommend starting the program in the winter term (October), because important key concepts are introduced in the core courses in the winter term. However, it is also possible to start the program in summer (April).

Does the MIEPP have a part-time study program?

Due to the course structure a part time study is not possible.

Are there any partnerships with other universities?

Johannes Gutenberg University has numerous partnerships with foreign universities. In addition, faculty members are part of numerous international networks and can thus support students’ aim to spend a semester abroad. In addition, interested students may consider to participate in the Master Double Degree Program with our partner university SGH Warsaw or Université Clermont Auvergne.

Application Questions

Is it possible to apply for the MIEPP with a Bachelor degree achieved in a two-year (4 semester) program?

No, the MIEPP requires a bachelor level degree with at least three years (6 semesters) of study.

I have not majored in economics. Is it nevertheless possible to successfully attend the MIEPP?

Yes. While the MIEPP’s main audience will be students with a degree in business and/or economics, we also encourage students from related disciplines (mathematics, political science etc.) to apply. Note, however, that it is highly desirable to master the quantitative techniques and methods which are usually taught in undergraduate business/economics programs. We recommend to have a look at the excellent textbook by Knut Sydsaeter and Peter Hammond (“Essential Mathematics for Economic Analysis”) to check whether you meet this requirement.

I have majored in business/economics, but the program I completed does not have a strong quantitative focus. Is it nevertheless possible to successfully attend the MIEPP?

Yes. While the MIEPP aims at introducing students to advanced methods and concepts, we want to help students in catching up during the first two semesters. However, a certain interest in quantitative methods is required.

Is the GRE currently part of the admission requirements?

No, it is not.

Is it possible for students who are enrolled in the diploma programs to attend classes of the MIEPP?

Yes, interested students are - given the approval of the respective lecturer - welcome to attend MIEPP classes.

English Proof

How good do my English skills have to be at the beginning of the program?

The admission requirements set certain minimum standards in terms of English language test results. Moreover, you should enjoy reading and writing in English and you should be willing to express your arguments in English in presentations and classroom discussions.

Where can I pass the TOEFL/ IELTS/ FCE?

Information on the TOEFL/IELTS/FCE tests is provided here.

Is it possible to apply before taking the TOEFL/ IELTS/ FCE?

Yes. The results of the TOEFL/ IELTS/ FCE have to be handed in by the end of your first semester.

Finance and Living

Where can I turn for financial support?

Information on financial support for German students, for example through BAföG, a student loan or scholarships can be found here.

International students find more information and respective scholarships at the DAAD website and its scholarship database.

Is it possible to find accomodation in a students' residence?

Yes, application forms and further information for accommodation in a students' residence may be obtained from the Mainz Student Union (Studierendenwerk). They are processed and considered in the order in which they are received. The closing dates for application are 15th January for the summer term and 15th July for the winter term.

Are there special payment transferring ways, e.g. SWIFT code or IBAN, made for international students who are still abroad?

International students who do not come from a euro-area country, are not recommended to transfer money from abroad due to very expensive bank charges. As a consequence, often the final amount that will be available here is incomplete. However, as the registration rarely takes place one or two days after the student's arrival to Germany, there usually will be sufficient time for international students to make the transfer in Germany.

Exams and Master Thesis

If I didn’t pass an exam, is it obligatory to register for the repeat exam directly or is it also possible to retake it in another semester?

It is highly recommended to directly register for the repeat exam, but it is not obligatory to do that. Therefore, you could wait until the course is offered again to attend to the respective classes and take the exam by the end of the particular semester. The only risk when waiting could be for example that you might have to deal with a new topic.

I didn’t succeed in passing an elective module’s exam. Can I choose another elective module?

In case of not passing selective modules exams, students can change selective modules twice during the entire MIEPP program, after the first, second or third (and final) trial.

I passed an exam but I am not satisfied with the grade. Can I repeat this exam to improve my grade?

No, the repetition of an exam with the aim of getting additional ECTS or improving the grade is not possible.

How long does it take to write the Master Thesis?

The thesis takes four months.

How can I hand in my master thesis?

Your MIEPP master thesis can be handed in electronically by sending via an e-mail from your students account to studienbuero-fb03@uni-mainz.de.The thesis has to be in PDF format. Furthermore, the statutory declaration has to still be signed personally. Thus, you can either scan or photograph (has to be readable) the signed statutory declaration and add it to the e-mail. The statutory declaration and the thesis have to be attached to the same e-mail.
The hand-in date is the date the e-mail is received. Once you sent the email, the hand-in is complete. There is no way you can change your thesis anymore (i.e. if you find a mistake after handing it in, you cannot send a new version on the same day).

The registrar’s office will not ask for further printed versions..